Sunday, May 18, 2014

exploring islington, two faces of january & zara's 30th

It's Sunday. I've just come in after spending a few hours laying in the sunshine. I feel like I got more vitamin D today than I have in the last 6 months. The weather has been really incredible the last week and I only hope that it stays like this for the whole summer.

Last Saturday was another story though…the weather was completely bipolar. One minute sunny, the next pouring rain. I ventured out to meet Mel in Pimlico for a glass of wine and a girly catch up mid-afternoon. She tagged along to meet Andrea & James (I've known Andrea since I was 12 and she's lived here in London for several years). They were in Shoreditch at one of my favorites - Pizza East. We had a few drinks with them, a plate of cured meats and cheese, and then Mel and I said goodbye.            
                

Mel went back to her place and I was off to meet up with Ali and Paul at their place in Islington. She texted me that evening and asked if I was interested in going to see a puppet show at a local theatre/pub. You read that correctly…I did say puppet show. There's a pub in Islington which has a theatre upstairs. They were hosting two guys (and their puppets) who last year won a festival in Bristol. It was actually really good and funny (think low-budget Avenue Q).
american girls
audience participation encouraged (poor mark!)

On Sunday I was feeling pretty run down and the weather was, once again, bipolar. So I stayed in and did my laundry and started watching House of Cards. I've heard so much about this Netflix series and now I am completely addicted. 

The week was pretty normal…I went to work, did my exercise, and saw friends. Monday night was special though as Ali invited me along to the viewing of the new film 'The Two Faces of January' at the Covent Garden hotel. It was a really good movie and after the viewing, the costume designer for the movie had a little Q&A session. The movie was set in the 60s so the clothes were gorgeous. 

the walk up to the covent garden hotel
                   


Like I said, the rest of the week was standard - work, work outs, and cooking dinners at the new flat. I've been really enjoying exploring my new neighborhood. I live right across from a small park and community garden. It's noisier here than in West Hampstead but it's also closer to central London. I'm within walking distance to several friend's flats! I'm becoming very spoiled. 

Yesterday was Saturday and I've recently become addicted to manicures and pedicures. When I first moved here, there was no way I would shell out money for this luxury. But now that I am working a normal, full time job, it's a special treat that I insist on having once a month. Anyways, I got my mani and pedi and went to Stratford Mall in East London to do a bit of shopping (another luxury I rarely partake in!) I found some great things and was throughly satisfied with all my new spring-y purchases. 
chess in the sunshine at stratford
I got myself together and the 4 of us (me, Adam, Alex, and James) went to Slug & Lettuce in Islington to watch the FA Final game. It was Arsenal vs. Hull and here's what you need to know…Arsenal's stadium is in Islington so there were TONS of fans out yesterday in our neighborhood. Here's the other thing you need to know…Arsenal fans take two things very seriously - their team, and drinking. Alex and I managed to watch the first half of the game and then I had to get out of there. Everyone around us was getting reeeeaaaalllll drunk and it was getting more and more crowded by the minute.                            

Alex and I decided to go to Tinto right around the corner for some wine and girl time. Ali ended up coming along too and we were loving sitting in the sun, drinking rose, and chatting (much better than standing in a crowded pub!)




Adam and I left Islington and made our way to Pimlico for my co-worker and friend Zara's 30th birthday party! She did an amazing job planning and organizing everything. She wanted to do a 'Tashes and Tiaras' theme - where the girls wear mustaches and the guys all wear tiaras. It was hilarious and we all had such a great time celebrating! 






It was another great week in London. I am so lucky to have such incredible friends in this big city! 

xx
K

No comments:

Post a Comment