Sunday, August 3, 2014

restaurant story // vinopolis // zoo lates

A few weeks ago (before moving into my new apartment, heading to Santorini, and then off to Spain), I celebrated the end of my school year with three memorable experiences here in London.



On Tuesday, Adam and I went to a place I've been dying to try for a long time…Restaurant Story. It was an incredible meal and so unique. You can either do a 6 course or 10 course tasting menu. Adam and I went for the 6 course menu, and I'm so glad we did because our meal came with lots of extra courses! We sat down right at the window so we could see out onto Tooley Street. After we ordered, our waitress started bringing over lots of little appetizers. While she was serving us our little appetizers, she lit the candle at our table. Before the first course, she asked if we had figured out the candle yet. We both looked at each other like 'what the hell is this lady talking about?' and she explained that the candle was actually made of fat (and you dipped your bread into the 'wax'). There were a hundred little strange things like this throughout our meal, but that's what made it so fun and unique. It was one of those experiences that I can't really write about because it just wouldn't do it justice. We throughly enjoyed our food and left feeling full and happy! You can tell the chefs and wait staff are all passionate about food and it shows in every single way. I would highly recommend visiting Story, but you may have to wait a while to actually go - our reservation was booked two months in advance.
                                                 


inside this gorgeous apple is some of the best carpaccio i've ever had. 
almond and dill…such a good combination! 



Thursday was our last day of school, and we had to celebrate the end after a few very stressful weeks! We booked a table at Vinopolis for lunch, and then had a wine tasting after. We had a lesson on how to taste wine, which is always a funny thing for me since I usually just chug it! Then we were given a card with tokens and each tasting costs either 1, 2, or 3 tokens. I tried about 7 different wines, and they were all great. You can sign up to receive an email with all the different wines you tried on the day of your tasting too, just in case you want to buy a few bottles! I like the way these people think.

cheers!
swirl, sniff, sip, swish and spit
what a great team!
decisions, decisions...



Then on Friday, a big group of friends went to Zoo Lates at Regents Park. I went last summer too and we loved it so much we decided to go again! If you don't know what it is, let me explain. ZSL (London Zoo) keep the zoo open late in the summer on Friday nights for adults only. They have loads of great food, drinks, a silent disco, games, shows, and the animals are still all out for you to walk around and see. A full priced ticket is £15 but you can almost always find one on discount. You are strongly encouraged to dress up and they sell masks and ears. I saw tons of people in full 'fancy dress' as all sorts of animals. My favorite part will always be the penguins…it was my first stop this year and last (and I'm sure it'll be the same next year too!)




monkeying around!
giraffe couple
silent disco
american girls and our british boys
It was a very busy week, but full of celebrations! I was ready for a week in Santorini to relax after the week was over, and lucky me that's exactly what I got! 

xx
K

No comments:

Post a Comment