Tuesday, May 6, 2014

a love letter // west hampstead

For a little over a year, I've called West Hampstead (NW6) my home. I'm moving to Angel and I'm not gonna lie…I'm feeling pretty sentimental about the whole thing. I am so excited about moving somewhere different and experiencing a new part of London; but it's never easy to finish a chapter. So in order to help me cope, I decided I had to write a little letter to West Hamp…here's all the things that I personally love about you.

To the man who sells books outside the train station:
A lot of times you were the first human interaction I had in the mornings. It usually goes something like this…
me - Good morning!
you - Good morning ____ (the blank is usually filled in with 'babes' or 'beautiful'). Have a lovely day!
Your sweet Scottish accent and kind spirit made me so happy. I bet some people look at you and think 'he's homeless', or 'he's begging for money', or even worse, 'he's just a drunk'. I've seen a lot of people look at you with that look. I've actually thought about punching these people in the face on more than one occasion. I just want to say thank you for making me feel good about myself at 7.15 am. I'm going to miss you.

To Hana (my favorite West Hampstead restaurant):
Oh man, who knew Persian food could be so damn good? You are not only delicious, but incredibly cheap, and every time we went here it got better and better. Don't you worry Hana…I'll be back for you.

To Fortune Green:
Ah I spent many days last summer laying out, reading for my dissertation, dog/people watching. You gave me hours of serenity when I felt like life was eating me alive.

To the baristas at Caffe Nero:
All the people who work at this Caffe Nero are lovely, but it is home to seriously the NICEST barista who has ever graced this earth. I will miss my Saturday and Sunday morning strolls up to Nero to grab my latte…sometimes I would sit outside and people watch; sometimes I would sit inside and work on my laptop with the other geeks; sometimes I would take my coffee home and just enjoy my own couch.

I loved my walks up to Hampstead Heath, Golders Hill park, the pilates studio in Hampstead. It's such a gorgeous area and it will always hold a very special place in my heart.

I'll miss you WH. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment