Thursday, October 25, 2012

top of the morning to you

Good morning!
I'm sitting in my bed right now having a little tea and listening to the rain outside. It's been a rainy week (I know I know...I live in London). And even though it's been rainy, this week has been my best week so far here in the big city.

After moving into my flat last Saturday, filling up my refrigerator, and buying the necessary items, the flat started to feel like a home. My friend Elaine (she is from Canada and is teaching here as well), just got to the UK and has been staying on an air mattress on my living room floor all week. It's nice to have company, especially someone who is new to the UK too!

I worked on Monday and Wednesday at two different schools. On Monday morning, I taught Year 1 and in the afternoon I taught Y3. On Wednesday, I taught Y6 all day. I think I've decided that I like Year 3 the best. Y3 is 7 and 8 year olds which is pretty close to what third grade is in the US. :-) Hopefully, I will be able to work again tomorrow. Next week is "half term break" here in the UK so the students and teachers get a whole week off of school!

I've gotten to know my neighborhood this week, too. The train station is literally a two minute walk from my flat which is so nice and convenient. If I walk 5 minutes down my road, I get to the "High Street". Here in London, every neighborhood/town/borough has a "high street" or a "high road". It's basically where you can find a majority of the shops and restaurants in your neighborhood. Now I love my neighborhood, but I don't want to give anyone the false idea that I live in a glamorous area! It is safe and nice but it isn't like the places in London you've seen on TV or in magazines. I don't have any cute boutiques near me (which is a good thing for my wallet!). I do have lots of markets and grocery stores, restaurants from all over the world, and a few hotels close by. One day (when it's sunny), I'll take some pictures around my neighborhood and post them on here!

Today, I'm meeting my friend Kait from UNCW. She lives here too and has for a few years. She just got engaged a couple weeks ago so we are having a celebratory lunch! Then I'm off to the gym, the library, and to my Thursday evening class.

Have a wonderful Thursday everyone!
Lots of love,
K xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment