Friday, October 19, 2012

time flies

I can't believe that a month ago today, I was getting on a plane with all my luggage to start a new life here in London. This last month has taught me so much more than I could've imagined. Here's a list of the few things I've learned...

1. PATIENCE - I consider myself a very patient person (hello, I teach elementary school!) but I have never been very patient with adults. After a major debacle with my leasing agent who had me wait for three weeks on a form to come in the mail, I learned the importance of patience. Before I came here, I waited on so many things...to get into university, to get a job, to get my visa, etc etc. But since I've been here, I've really learned how sometimes you have to let go of the control you want to have and allow other people to do their jobs (even if you think they aren't doing it quickly enough!).

2. IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY and FRIENDS - I haven't talked about this much because it seems a bit silly to whine on this blog. But I really miss my family and friends back home (yes you guys!). At first, I was really homesick...I cried practically every day. Being around my family and friends is my comfort and it always has been. Having weekly Skype dates with my parents, whatsapp conversations with friends, and emails has really cheered me up and kept me going. So thank you to all of you who have made a special effort to keep in touch with me over the last month. It means SO much to me and I hope you'll continue!

3. BEING UNCOMFORTABLE - You are probably thinking "What?!". Well moving to another country can definitely make you uncomfortable and you HAVE to learn how to deal with it if you want to survive. Like I said before, being with my friends and family was my "comfort zone". I never really had to worry about feeling uncomfortable before I came here. Now, I am forced to put myself out there so that I can make new friends, be a good employee, and a good student. So far, it seems that being uncomfortable has its benefits! I'm making new friends, doing my best at my job, and getting to know my professors and peers at university.

When I first got here, I thought "this is too hard...I'm not strong enough to do this". I'm so glad I didn't give up. Every day gets a little bit easier.

LOTS of love to my friends and family,
Kristen xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment